SKILLED VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
New Sector is grateful for our many volunteers who provide meaningful support to the early career professionals (Fellows) in our programs. Opportunities to volunteer include providing one-to-one mentorship for an average of an hour per week or leading a 2-3 hour training session. Annually, volunteers donated over 2,500 hours to New Sector programs. This professional development allows our Fellows to complete more meaningful work for community organizations while preparing them for their careers.
Our Mentors are skilled professionals from a range of industries, including consulting, direct service and intermediary nonprofits, technology, philanthropy, and beyond. Mentors typically have 3-25 years of professional experience, and are matched with Fellows based on goals, areas of expertise, and other factors as requested by Mentors and Fellows. To start volunteering, please complete this Interest Form, email email@example.com, or reach out to a local staff member.
Benefits of Mentorship
- Make a meaningful difference: Volunteers bring skills and experiences that directly support Fellows’ projects for community organizations, which translates to stronger community services.
- Contribute to future leadership: You will help early career professionals develop their skills, resources, and pathways toward long-term careers in social change.
- Join the New Sector network: You will become part of a network of public, private, and nonprofit professionals committed to making social impact.
How Mentorship Works
Mentors support Fellows through in-person and virtual communication in these areas and others:
- Project-specific support: Mentors bring expertise to help Fellows develop workplans for projects designed for organizational impact.
- Professional skills development: Mentors guide Fellows on developing skills such as effectively navigating the workplace and accepting constructive feedback.
- Career planning: Mentors serve as coaches to Fellows by supporting resume and cover letter reviews, interview practice, and networking endeavors.
- Mentors check-in with Fellows on a weekly basis for an hour to provide support, throughout our 11-month RISE Fellowship or 3-month Summer Fellowship.
- New Sector is committed to ensuring that Mentors have a positive, meaningful experience. New Sector provides orientation and ongoing support to Mentors, and encourages Mentors to expand their networks through the volunteer experience.
Our trainers are leaders from the community, many also serving as supervisors, mentors, or alumni from New Sector. Our trainers add immeasurable value to our program as they deliver content, but also knowledge from their personal experiences in the social impact space. Trainers may bring presentation materials or deliver content developed by New Sector on a range of topics relevant to meaningful professional development. To start volunteering, please complete this Interest Form, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to a local staff member.
How we Work with Trainers
The expertise and engagement of each of our Trainers make our workshops unique. The diversity of Trainers who support our programs offer Fellows a breadth of knowledge as well as elucidation of professional pathways. We collaborate with each Trainer to:
- Determine a session that fits within New Sector’s curriculum or brings new insights or trends.
- Structure the session, minimizing Trainer preparation time.
- Select materials for the session; New Sector has materials for each session in our curriculum, or Trainers may opt to bring their own materials in support of agreed-upon objectives.
Trainers volunteer on a one-time-basis and facilitate 2-3 hour training sessions from our curriculum or topics based on their expertise. Selected topics include:
- Project Management
- Career Planning Tools (e.g. Resume Writing)
- Change Management
- Organizational Strategy
- Nonprofit Finance
- Fundraising and Resource Development