The New Sector Summer Fellowship brings together early-career professionals in the social impact/non-profit sector who are looking for impactful professional development opportunities in order to bolster their engagement and improve their performance at work. During the program, Fellows build leadership and professional skills, gain a solid understanding of how non-profit and mission-driven organizations function, engage in mentoring relationships and networking, and cultivate a growth mindset.
The Summer Fellowship program provides skills, tools, knowledge, and networks to be more effective in your position and more equipped for long-term career growth.
- Training: New Sector’s Social Impact Curriculum training sessions cover career development and management, sector knowledge building, communication and leadership skills, functional skills development, and design-thinking.
- 1:1 Mentorship with a non-profit/social impact professional
- Peer Learning: Peer support groups which meet regularly to work on skills, offer support and problem solving, and further discuss workshop topics and concepts
Summer Fellows join the program via two tracks:
- Summer Fellows:Undergraduates and non-traditional early career professionals are matched into short-term paid internships
- Senior Fellows: Graduate students who already have a social impact internship. Senior Fellows participate in our Social Impact Leadership training sessions and 1:1 mentorship, while taking on a leadership role of supporting the Summer Fellows.
All 2021 Summer Fellowship positions will be remote work positions and all training sessions will be conducted virtually. You will not need to relocate to Chicago, however if you are already located in Chicago, you can indicate on your application that you are open to in-office or hybrid in-office/remote work if available. This is not a requirement for consideration.
Submit Your Application
Applications for the Summer Fellowship and Senior Summer Fellowship are due on April 4th.
In addition to preparing a resume, we ask applicants to submit answers to three short essay questions. Please answer the three following questions in 300 words or less per question (900 words total). Include all three answers in a single document for upload on the application.
- Please tell us why you are committed to mission-driven work and how the New Sector program would enhance that commitment.
- Please tell us about an accomplishment of which you are particularly proud.
- In addition to each Fellow learning from the New Sector experience, we know that each Fellow also adds to the professional development of his/her colleagues in the cohort. Fellows’ impact on their peers’ learning often stems from their unique experiences, backgrounds, and personalities. Please tell us about the role you would play in supporting peer learning within your cohort.
“New Sector gave me the best summer of my life. I learned so much about myself, about consulting and about making a difference in the world."
– Boston Summer Fellow, 2007
“The most valuable part of my Fellowship experience was the network of people. New Sector provided an excellent network of resources and empowered me to take direction and control of my career. Thanks to New Sector’s support, I committed to the social sector and feel prepared to take on leadership roles."
– Twin Cities Senior Summer Fellow, 2015